The Law Office of John T. Lyons, Jr., P.C. is a general practice full service law firm concentrating in the following areas:



The purchase of a home is one of the biggest transactions that you will undertake as a consumer.  The process can be overwhelming.  Let an experienced Attorney guide you through this unfamiliar process.  The Offer to Purchase and the Purchase and Sales Agreement are legally binding documents that require careful review.  An attorney can help you negotiate the terms of these contracts.  An experienced attorney can also advise you and help revise these documents to protect you from losing your deposit.  The deposit for many people is a substantial amount of money or their life savings.  You will feel comfortable knowing that your attorney is there for you along the way including attending the closing with you.  


The Sale of a home is not as simple as it may appear to many.  The Offer to Purchase and the Purchase and Sales Agreement need to be reviewed and many times revised to protect your interests.  There are penalties and deadlines that must be followed.  We will work with you to ensure that the process goes smoothly. We will ensure that any issues that could delay the closing such as title problems are taken care of in an efficient manner.  We will also draft the new Deed for you which will legally convey title to the property to the Buyers.   If you have engaged a real estate broker, we will work with them to ensure that the other requirements surrounding a sale, such as the obtaining of the Smoke Certificate and CO2 Certificate and final water reading are complied with in a timely manner.  We will also attend the closing with you.  If the day becomes too hectic due to movers and others issues, we can draft a Power of Attorney and represent you at the closing and free up some of your valuable time on what can be a very hectic day.


The other party involved in the buying and selling transaction is the Bank or the Lender.  I have represented Banks and Lenders as their attorney in these transactions.  Therefore, I am knowledgeable as to all the different perspectives and interests involved in a residential real estate transaction.  The Bank or Lender attorney represents the interest of the Bank or Lender.  Therefore, you should consider if you want to retain your own independent counsel when buying a property or if you want to use the Bank Attorney to represent you.  This is acceptable as long as it is disclosed to you that the Bank Attorney represents the Bank first and the Borrower or Buyers second.


  A Declaration of Homestead is a document that can be drafted and protects the homeowner(s) from certain types of creditors.  The Homestead protects up to $500,000.00 dollars in equity in your primary residence.  The Homestead does not apply to investment property or second homes.  Any new property owner should have a Homestead.  Act now if you don’t have a Homestead on your property.  This can be done at any time even after you have purchased your house.

  This is often an area that people do not like to discuss.  If they do, they often put these important matters off.  The fact is that it is never too early to start estate planning.  A Simple Estate Plan is comprised of the following:

  1. WILL:  This directs who will take your belongings and property.  You will nominate an Executor/Executrix who will coordinate your wishes.  Your Will also has provisions for nominating a guardian for your minor children.  Do not put off this important task.  If you do, you will allow the State, through its intestacy laws to decide who gets what and others may petition the court for guardianship of your minor children.

  2. DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY:  This document gives one or more persons the authority to conduct your financial affairs on your behalf.  The Power of Attorney is important as a practical matter as it takes effect and is used while you are alive.  You can revoke the Power of Attorney through a written instrument.  It terminates upon death.  This document will come in very handy if you are incapacitated due to illness.  Most people do not realize the importance of this document.

  3. HEALTH CARE PROXY:  This is another important document that many of us have heard of……but do not have one in place.  This document designates another person to make medical decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated and unable to do so.  Hospitals do provide these forms; however, the Health Care Proxy should be executed in conjunction with the Living Will document (below) in order to ensure that your wishes are complied with.

  4. LIVING WILL:  The Living Will sets out your express desire as to decisions that directly impact the end of your life.  It specifically addresses life sustaining issues as to what you want to happen in the event that you are put on life support or artificial respiration.  The execution of such a document will help aid your Health Care Proxy in these most difficult of decisions

  The Law office of John T. Lyons, Jr., offers representation to those charged with a criminal offense or offenses in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. As a former defense attorney representing indigent criminal clients, I have experience in all phases of criminal representation.  I have represented clients at bail hearings, arraignments, pre-trial conferences, jury trials, probation violation surrender hearings and restraining order hearings.  I have also represented clients on Appeal and have successfully argued in front of the Massachusetts Appeals Court.

  There are many different types of personal injury.  There is personal injury that results from a motor vehicle accident, slip and fall, injury in the workplace or injury that results from the negligence of another.  We offer representation to those injured in these situations.  We will evaluate your claim and keep you informed every step of the way. We will advise you regarding your rights and obligation in dealing with the insurance companies.  We will evaluate your rights that you may have in regard to compensation including lost wages as a result of your injury.  

Back To Top



127 Cambridge Street/Route 3A - Burlington, MA 01803
Office: (781) 229-5300 - Office Fax: (781) 229-5301 - Direct Fax: (781) 998-0510 - Email: